This Sunday school lesson will help children learn how important it is to give thanks to whom it is owed: God, the Father.
by Kristy Thornton
Blessings, Provision, Thanksgiving, Thankfulness
AS KIDS ARRIVE (10 minutes)
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You (Activity) Click here
WORSHIP TIME (5 minutes)
Further info? Click here
BIBLE VERSE (5 minutes)
"...always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 5:20 NIV
Have the children repeat this verse several times aloud with you. Then, ask them why they think we should give thanks to God the Father for everything? What are some things for which we can give Him thanks? Let’s all thank the Lord three times for everything using our expression of joy. I will demonstrate it and then we will do it together as a class. "Thank You, thank You, thank You Lord for everything!"
BIBLE STORY (15 minutes)
Gather the children around you in preparation for story time. After the introduction, read the passages as shown or read the verses directly from the Bible. Read each passage before asking the corresponding question.
Our Bible verse taught us to be thankful to God for everything. We will continue to learn about thankfulness, and we will celebrate Thanksgiving together as a class.
Read 1 Timonthy 4:4-5
1. Is everything created by God? (Yes.)
2. Does scripture say that everything made by God is good or bad? (Good.)
3. If food is received with thanksgiving, are we to reject it? Why or why not? (No, becasue God made food to feed our bodies.)
5. Do you think the meal you will eat during Thanksgiving was created by God? (Yes, while our parents or grandparents might buy and cook the food, it was created by God.)
Read Psalm 136
As I read Psalm 136, I want you to remember one thing I read from the verses, for which you can thank God.
1. Why does Psalm 136 say we should thank the Lord? (Because God is good.)
2. What endures forever? (God’s Love for us.)
3. What is one thing mentioned in the scripture that God has done for which you are thankful? (Allow for discussion. He alone does mighty wonders: He made the heavens and the earth; He protects His people; He remembers us, and He provides our needs such as food, water, shelter, ect.)
FUN TIME (15 minutes)
Thanksgiving Plate (Activity) Click here
ALTERNATE FUN TIME (10 minutes)
Thanksgiving Every Day (Coloring Page) Click here
PRAYER/SNACK (10 minutes)
Further info? Click here
Start by giving thanks to God for all the provisions that He has provided. Optional: Provide graham crackers, chocolate frosting, sprinkles, and fruit snacks. Give each child a plate with a graham cracker and a glob of frosting. Have children use their fingers to smear frosting on the graham cracker to make a head, and body. Use frosting and sprinkles or fruit snacks as feathers.
CLOSING ACTIVITY (10 minutes)
Turkey Hunt (Activity) Click here
Choose another exciting lesson plan from Kids Sunday School Place for Preschool.
TAKE HOME PAGE
Give one copy to each child at the end of the class to take home [PDF]. Click here