After completing this Sunday school lesson, the children will see that God is a God of miracles and that His power and might sustains us each day.
Moses, Miracles, Power of God, Protection
AS KIDS ARRIVE (15 minutes)
Discuss miracles with the children. What is a miracle? Have you ever seen a miracle? What is your favorite miracle from the Bible? You can also have some of the children look up the word miracle in a regular dictionary and in a Bible dictionary.
OPENING PRAYER AND PRAISE (5 minutes)
Further info? Click here
MEMORY WORK (6 minutes)
One Amazing Verse (Memory Challenge) Click here
Use the memory verse from last week. "Blessed is the one who always trembles before God, but whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble." Proverbs 28:14 NIV
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
Last week you will remember how the Pharaoh of Egypt finally let the Israelites go. However, it was only after God sent ten plagues on Egypt, and in the end, the Pharaoh's son was even killed. The Israelites obeyed God, and left right away. They followed the Lord's instructions and ate the Passover meal in haste. The bread they made did not contain yeast and is called unleavened bread. This type of bread is still used today by Jewish people to celebrate God's protection from that tenth plague. Now our story finds the Israelites once again in a predicament. Many people thought it was a trap. Let's read from our Bibles to see what happened.
Read Exodus 14:5-31 (The Crossing of the Red Sea)
1. At first Pharaoh let the Israelite people go, why did he change his mind? (He lost the services of the Israelite people who were used like slaves, and his heart was hardened.)
2. What did the Israelites do when they saw the Egyptians? (Complained and blamed Moses, said they would rather go back and serve the Egyptians than die in the desert.)
3. Who did Moses say would fight for the Israelites? (God.)
4. What would the Israelites need to do? (Nothing, just to be still.)
5. How did God keep the Egyptians away from the Israelites before they crossed the Red Sea? (He placed a pillar of fire between the two of them.)
6. What happened when Moses stretched out his hand over the sea the second time? (The waters returned and Pharaoh's entire army drowned.)
7. How did the attitudes of the Israelite people change at the end of this story? (Instead of being afraid, they trusted God.)
8. How do we see God's protection in this story? (By performing a miracle to stop an enemy from doing harm.)
CLASS EXERCISE (5 minutes)
Parting the waters (Object Talk) Click here
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
The Hamster's Great Escape (Puppet skit or story) Click here
APPLICATION (2 minutes)
God's power is revealed in so many ways. No one but God could part a sea. God also does many powerful things for us every day. He brings the sun up in the morning, he showers the earth with rain, and makes the trees grow. He even created gravity to keep us from accidentally flying into outer space. This week, everyone should spend some time in prayer, thanking God for his mighty power.
What would happen if one of the Ten Commandments were missing? You might be pleasantly surprised, but you must come back next week to find out why.
CLOSING PRAYER (2 minutes)
Further info? Click here