THE LIFE OF MOSES
Lesson 1: Moses as a Baby
Through this lesson, the children will learn that God protects us and has a plan for each of our lives.
AS KIDS ARRIVE (15 minutes)
Draw the following chart on the board
Things that protect us
People that protect us
bicycle helmets, seat belts, gloves
fireman, policeman, God
As the children arrive, give them a sheet of paper, and have them copy the chart from the board, or have copies already made up before class. Have them jot down as many things and people they can think of while waiting for everyone to arrive. When finished, discuss what everyone came up with and write unique items of the board for all to see.
OPENING PRAYER AND PRAISE (5 minutes)
Further info? Click here
MEMORY WORK (6 minutes)
"My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:2 NIV
Have the kids find this verse in their Bibles, and read it several times out loud. Have them close their eyes and try to say the verse again.
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
Today we will learn about the birth of Moses. Moses was born a long time ago in Egypt. But he was not an Egyptian. He was an Israelite. At that time the Pharaoh of Egypt gave an order that every newborn baby boy was to be thrown into the Nile River and killed, but baby girls could live. That doesn't sound fair does it? Can you imagine the sadness parents had when a baby boy was born? But this is a story about how God can protect His own chosen people, even during evil times like this.
Read Exodus 2:1-10 (The story of the birth of Moses)
1. Instead of throwing Moses into the Nile, what did his mother do with him for the first three months of his life? (She hid him.)
2. When his mother could hide him no longer, what did she do with Moses? (She put him in a basket and set him among the reeds in the Nile.)
3. Where did Pharaoh's daughter find the baby? (Along the bank of the Nile among the reeds.)
4. What was Pharaoh's daughter doing when she found Moses? (Bathing with her servants.)
5. Do you think Moses was found by accident, or was it God's plan? (God's plan.)
6. Who did Pharaoh's daughter find to nurse the baby? (His mother.)
7. How do we see God's protection in this story? (God protected Moses from dying in the Nile River by allowing Pharaoh's daughter to find him and raise him as an Egyptian.)
CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
Moses in the Nile (Skit for six children) Click here
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (5 minutes)
Harm Removed (Object Talk) Click here
APPLICATION (4 minutes)
We use many things to protect us for instance helmets, gloves and heavy coats in the winter. People also protect us from harm, such as firefighters and lifeguards. God's protection is always there, even when we don't know it. He has a plan for us just as He did for Moses. Although things may seem difficult at the time, God is always working in us for the good.
The Bible says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)
This week, everyone should spend some time in prayer, thanking God for His protection. Remember, our help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.
Did you ever hear a red rose talk? Come back next week and we will learn about something just as strange, but very true.
CLOSING PRAYER (2 minutes)
Further info? Click here
TAKE HOME PAGE
Give one copy to each child at the end of the class to take home. Click here for NIV or KJV [PDF]