Lesson 4: Sword of Truth
After completing this Sunday school lesson, the children will learn that the Bible is God's Word and that we need to know what the Bible says to know the truth.
Word of God, Bible, Truth
AS KIDS ARRIVE (10 minutes)
As the children arrive, have them find their folder and take out the Old and New Testament Books of the Bible handout sheets started last week. Have them use their Bibles to continue writing down the names of the books of the Bible. As kids finish with this project, they can quiz each other as to how far they can say the books in order, or demonstrate to the teacher how far they can go towards getting stars on the Starboard.
OPENING PRAYER AND PRAISE (5 minutes)
Further info? Click here
MEMORY WORK (15 minutes)
Christian's Quest Part 1 - The Books (Game) Click here
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
Have you ever heard anyone call the Bible a sword? That may sound like a strange comparison because a sword is sharp and used for battle. Well, the Bible is sharp also. And the Bible is used for spiritual battle. The Word of God contains the truth, and the truth can be sharper than any two edged sword. When people hear the truth, they must make a decision, follow the truth, or fight against it. And fighting against the truth can be quite difficult. In the end, it is a losing battle.
Ask for volunteers to look up the following verses and read them to the class. Follow up each verse with the questions shown.
1. According to this verse, why was the Bible written? (So people will believe Jesus is the Christ.)
2. What happens to someone when they believe? (They can have life in His name.)
1. In this verse, how is the Word of God described? (As the sword of the Spirit.)
2. What are we supposed to do with the sword of the Spirit? (Take it with us.)
1. How is the Word of God described in this verse? (Living, active and sharper than any two-edged sword.)
2. What does it mean that the Word of God is living and active? (It is always life changing and true.)
3. What does the Word of God do? (It judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.)
2 Timothy 4:1-5
1. What are we supposed to do with God's Word? (Preach the Good News, share it with others.)
2. Will some people reject the truth? (Yes.)
3. What should we do when this happens? (Keep the faith and continue to do the work of an evangelist.)
4. What is an evangelist? (Someone who shares the Word of God with others.)
CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
Verse Connection (Activity) Click here
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (20 minutes)
Selling God's Word (Activity) Click here
APPLICATION (2 minutes)
Now if someone tells you, bring your sword with you, do you know what they are talking about? That's right, your Bible. It is the Sword of Truth because God's Word is the truth. We need to know what the Bible says to know the truth. In John 8:31,32 Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." If we can be set free by knowing the truth, imagine what sharing the truth with others can do for them.
How many of you still use your fingers to count? Next week I will show you how you can use your fingers to get more out of God's Word.
CLOSING PRAYER (2 minutes)
Further info? Click here
TAKE HOME PAGE
Give one copy to each child at the end of the class to take home. Click here [PDF]