Lesson 1: The Inspired Word of God
After completing this lesson, the children will learn that that the Bible is the inspired Word of God.
Bible, Holy Spirit, Word of God
AS KIDS ARRIVE (10 minutes)
Give a simple double sleeve folder to each child as they arrive. First, write their name on the top in easy-to-read letters, then let the children decorate the folder with stickers or drawings as they wish. This folder will be used to keep unfinished work in until the end of the series.
OPENING PRAYER AND PRAISE (5 minutes)
Further info? Click here
MEMORY WORK (6 minutes)
Old Testament Books of the Bible (handout sheet [PDF]) Click here
New Testament Books of the Bible (handout sheet [PDF]) Click here
Bible Books Starboard [PDF] Click here
During this series, the children will begin to memorize the books of the Bible. In order to memorize all of the books, this challenge will be continued for one or more additional lesson series. Give each child copies of the "Old and New Testament Books of the Bible handout sheets". These are worksheets to help them memorize the books of the Bible, and will be kept in their folders. Today, start by having the children look in their Bibles and write down the names of the first five books of the Old Testament on their handout sheets. Then have them memorize the first five books; Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Also encourage the kids to continue memorizing the other books of the Bible at home. Suggest they seek help from parents or older brothers or sisters. The "Bible Books Starboard" will be used to display each child's progress as they memorize all the books.
CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
Old Time Telephone (Game)
Have the kids sit in a circle or line up and play the old telephone game to show how difficult it would be for the people who wrote the different books of the Bible to do so from memory with such accuracy. It would be impossible without the help of the Holy Spirit. You can use the following phrases or make up your own.
1. Do you believe the Bible was written by more than thirty-five men inspired by the Holy Spirit?
2. If there were thirty-three more books in the Bible there would be a total of ninety-nine.
3. The Bible is more than words communicated to us from God; the Bible is the Word of God.
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
The Bible is also known as the Word of God. Do you believe the Bible? Why? Has anyone ever told you that they don't believe the Bible? Many people unfortunately think the Bible is just another long boring book. But of course the Bible is not just another book, it was given to man from God to reveal Jesus Christ as our savior.
From Genesis, the very first book, to Revelation, the last book, the purpose of the Bible is Jesus. In John 5:39 Jesus himself says, "These are the Scriptures that testify about me." But what can we say to people who just don't believe the Bible is the word of God? Let's look up some scriptures that may help us understand the significance and truth about the Bible. Help the children find the following verses and have someone read each one. Then discuss each verse.
Verses and Discussion Questions:
2 Timothy 3:16-17
1. Where does all Scripture come from? (From God.)
2. What is Scripture good for? (Teaching, rebuking, correcting, training and equipping.)
2 Peter 1:20-21
1. Does Scripture come from the will of man? (No, from the Will of God.)
2. Who "inspired" or "carried" men to write the Bible? (The Holy Spirit.)
1. Does the Bible contain any mistakes? (No, it is flawless.)
2. What does "pure" gold or silver mean? (Without any impurities.)
1. How can you respond to someone who says the Bible isn't true? (All of God's words are true, so the Bible is also true because it is the Word of God.)
2. Does God ever need to come up with new rules or laws? (No, His laws are eternal.)
1 Corinthians 2:14
1. Why is it difficult for some people to understand the Bible? (Because they do not have the Holy Spirit to guide them.)
2. How does God reveal the Bible to us? (By the Holy Spirit.)
CLASS EXERCISE (10 minutes)
Bible Word Search (Puzzle) Click here
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (5 minutes)
There is a Book (Song) Click here
APPLICATION (2 minutes)
We know with certainty that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. The prophet Isaiah said that the earth was round (Isaiah 40:22) long before man believed it to be true. Man thought the world was flat! And not too long ago a young shepherd boy found scrolls that were over 2,000 years old. What was written on the scrolls was almost exactly like what we find today in the book of Isaiah. Moreover, numerous archaeological discoveries are proving that from an historical perspective the Bible is accurate. But, the Bible is more than just facts and history. The Bible brings us to a saving faith in God through His Son Jesus Christ. And we know this is true because the Holy Spirit makes us feel good about it.
Everyone has made a puzzle right? How many of you have tried without using the picture on the box lid as a guide? Did looking at the picture make it easier or harder? Next week, we will see what happened to one not so bright fellow when he didn't bother using the guide he was given.
CLOSING PRAYER (2 minutes)
Further info? Click here
TAKE HOME PAGE
Give one copy to each child at the end of the class to take home. Click here [PDF]