TITHES AND OFFERINGS
Lesson 1: A Cheerful Giver
This lesson illustrates the attitude we should have when we give our money or our time.
Giving, Offering, Tithing, Sacrifice
AS KIDS ARRIVE (10 minutes)
Mixed Up Attitudes (Activity) Click here
OPENING PRAYER AND PRAISE (5 minutes)
Further info? Click here
MEMORY WORK (12 minutes)
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7 NIV
Paper Ladder (Game) Click here
Read the verse together several times and then use the above game to see which team of kids can put the verse together the fastest.
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
God blesses us in many ways, but one of the most satisifying blessings God gives, is to allow us to help Him build His Kingdom here on earth.
Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-10
1. What does the word "Sow" mean and how does it relate to a tithe? (Scatter seed. Giving of time or money to help spread the Good News, God's message of love, around the world.)
2. What does the word "Reap" mean and how does it relate to a tithe? (To harvest. To help others gain an understanding of God's plan for salvation.)
3. Can you think of different things we could give that may help the church grow? (Prayers, time, money.)
4. If we give sparingly what will the result be? (We will reap sparingly. If we plant two grass seeds, two blades of grass will grow. The more seed we plant the more grass will grow. So it is with the work of our church.)
5. What type of attitude does God want us to have when we give? (Cheerful and generous.)
6. What does God do with the time and money we give? (Multiplies it and enlarges the harvest. The church grows.)
CLASS EXERCISE (20 minutes)
Giving and Receiving (Activity) Click here
ALTERNATE CLASS EXERCISE (5 minutes)
Heavenly Treasures (Object Talk) Click here
APPLICATION (2 minutes)
God wants us to give with a cheerful heart and a generous spirit. God doesn't want us to give because we feel that we have to. It pleases God to see that we give because we want His kingdom to grow. We can give many things; we can give of our time, money, talents and prayers. All of these things help others learn about God's wonderful plan of salvation. When we give, God will make our gifts grow beyond our wildest expectations.
Come back next week to learn about God's bank.
CLOSING PRAYER (2 minutes)
Further info? Click here